St Colman’s Primary School
Felix O’Hare & Co Ltd constructed this new 2-storey 18 classroom Primary School and Nursery School in Lambeg on the outskirts of Lisburn.
Key features and benefits:
- The new school was sited on a brown field site within an urban setting with access/egress restrictions due to the site being shared with St. Colman’s R.C. Church, Church Hall and Parochial House. The site also lent access to an apartment block just off the main entrance road.
- Our initial works involved the demolition of the existing school building and the careful removal of asbestos to make way for the new Nursery School.
- The finished facility included a new sports hall, dining halls, full catering facilities, offices, resource spaces, a new full size grass playing pitch and new external hard play areas with new car-parking and bus lay-bys.
- In many ways, this site was a hub of the local community and it was therefore critical that the phasing of works ensured that all facilities were kept fully operational for the duration of the contract.
- The project was particularly complex due to the proximity of the existing school which remained live for the duration and the shared access routes. Through meticulous planning, we carefully created and maintained full segregation between the school’s operations and the construction site throughout.