QUB – MBC
This project included the extensive refurbishment of four floors within the existing University Medical Research facility, as well as the construction of a new roof-top plant room on the existing 8-storey building, all on behalf of Queen’s University, Belfast.
Key features and benefits:
- We were required to complete the internal fit-out to levels 4, 6, 7 and 8, which included the construction of high specification laboratories, which required the planning, co-ordination and integration of exacting services. The high quality fit-out of 2 floors of highly serviced research laboratories required zero defects upon handover, an obligation assigned by the Home Office.
- In addition to the general environmental services, the laboratory included in-built sterilising/decontamination autoclaves and VHP decontamination chambers.
- We also installed specialist electrical packages including Access control, CCTV, fire alarm and specialist lighting packages which were commissioned and verified in fully integrated mode.
- We carried out the works within an operational educational facility located within the Belfast City Hospital Complex and from a Health and Safety perspective it was imperative that client’s staff, students and visitors to the building, were separated from the construction process and that our construction operative also remained safe at all times.
- On successful completion of commissioning, the facility was subjected to simulated load/stability testing to demonstrate that the integrated building services were capable of maintaining conditions under full design heat loads.
- We gained Home Office approval following inspection of the facility and associated supporting dossiers.